Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mario Talks


Welp, I had high hopes for this animation, but I didn't quite reach the level I wanted. I'm still proud of myself for working at 24 fps, drawing a bulk of it frame by frame, and actually getting it done. It just doesn't look the way I expected. I guess I thought that if I worked at a higher frame rate then I'd be blown away and it'd look so great, but I think that'd only happen if you really know what you're doing. One problem I have is that I don't know what my keys should or should have looked like. I sketched them side by side, cleaned them up and added one more, and went straight to flash. They weren't sized consistently or edited or otherwise fleshed out. How do you know if your drawings are working? Or your timing? Trial and error? That's the only way I figure it out, but it'd be nice to be able to tell in advance.

I learned a lot by doing this, mostly "dont's". I jumped back and forth on body parts before I finished any. This meant that limbs, bodies, and heads weren't attaching correctly all the time. God forbid something's out of place. I moved part of the body downward which meant I had to adjust all the arm and hand frames from that point. The arms are duplicated 3 times, within the body, behind, and on top, and the hands twice. This gives the effect that the arms and hands move in front of and behind the body. Then there are layers with frames there just to cover up any imperfections. If I were to do it over I'd still work in pieces, but I would've done the whole head, then the whole body, then the hands and then the arms. But I'd LIKE to be able to do this sort of thing without the aid of computers.


No comments:

Post a Comment