Monday, March 7, 2011

Kirby's Amazing Disappearing Feet



Here's the latest in random flash animation. Aside from Kirby's botched feet logic (how it pops in front and behind him) and the fact that this comes from a game and not from my head, it turned out okay. I didn't time it perfectly, and the original dance in-game doesn't sync up exactly to the music, so it plays back and 28 fps instead of 24, 87 frames total, I believe. I timed 88, so where'd that last frame go? I also forgot to make him blink.

I started trying to animate Mario without motion tweening like Rusty suggested. It's tough and a very slow process. I've been doing it with the pen tool, making it the most difficult to draw. I've been using the pen tool more lately for a clean looking, consistent line, but flash vectors are a pain to deal with. I thought about doing it all by hand, but then I have to go through the process of printing each key and hoping that the onion skin effect works well enough with my paper and the light table. Plus, when I work by hand I lose consistency. When I work by flash, I can fix it. The tablet still feels awkward and I feel out of my comfort zone using it, so I generally don't. What to do...

1 comment:

  1. This really makes me wanna hook up my SNES and mess around on Kirby SuperStars... but anywho! For a simple Flash animation, this is pretty cool -- even if you forgot to make him blink!

    Using a tablet feels a little awkward for me, too. I only use it when I color digitally, but the more you use it, the more you're gonna get comfortable with it. It's probably similiar to how I'd like to start animating with Flash one day, but it's kinda out of my comfort zone since I'd rather animate traditionally and all. It may not be perfect, but with practice and hard work, you always get better!

    ReplyDelete